..sayeth JK Rowling in the first testament..
Seems like everybody has something to say about the new Harry Potter book. Even the author herself, at that massive cult gatherin.. I mean meet-n-greet session. So by popular demand (Aheheh. Sure.) I'll just say what I got to say.
First, like all self-respecting geeks, I could care less whether the book is good or not. It's a new freaking Harry Potter book, man! Those things don't come around every day. It's the same thing with those Star Wars prequels and Matrix sequels - so what? Not that Harry Potter sucks, though; Far from it, no matter what the detractors say.
Let's address the more relevant complains: 1) The plot twist (a trademark of the series) is sorely lacking here. The ending can be predicted at least six chapters beforehand. That's true enough, but you forgot the other plot twist: Which character is going to die? Ever since word got out that another one's gonna bite the dust people are speculating like crazy. Especially me. Any suspicious disappearance by a central character kept me at the edge of my seat, and the battle at the locked chamber? I think I forgot to breathe while reading it. If that's not enough for you, the Harry-Cho "will they, won't they" scenario oughta keep you guessing all the while too.
2) The story is still super formulaic: Harry is stuck at Privet Drive, Harry escapes from bad, bad auntie and uncle, Harry returns to Hogwarts, Harry gets a new teacher, Harry learns of a new plot by Voldemort, Harry saves the day, Harry goes back to Privet Drive, lather, rinse, repeat. Fair enough. Except for the "saves the day" part, in this book at least. Here's a thought, though: Take a look at your own life and see if it's not formulaic. I think people who say these things are just jealous that their predictable life can't be so unpredictable. Another thing: Kids love these things, in case you've forgotten what's it like to be one. Heck, look at Power Rangers or even Pokemon. Bad Guys came, Good Guys terrorized, Hero gets beat up by Bad Guys, Hero makes a Supreme Comeback, Good Guys repelled, see you next week for exactly the same thing. We did, of course, lapped it up. Giving a Harry Potter book a Neuromancer ending would miss the point entirely.
3) The plot is weak this time. Aye for this one. What the heck does Voldemort want with that.. thing anyway? I thought he was looking for a weapon? What's so important about it? Somebody enlighten me.
Okay, now for my own comments: I think all the characters are developing wonderfully. Harry's angst is so convincing for a 15-year-old, the only thing unrealistic about it is that it haven't surfaced until recently. For people saying that he's becoming a bigger asshole, lighten up: You'd act that way too if you had year-long migraine.
I'm especially surprised by Ginny Weasley, though. She got over her Diary situation and Potter-crush remarkably well - must have taken over Bill. She's maturing, all right, and composes herself very nicely in this book given any situation. I daresay she's going to be one of the coolest characters in the series.
Let's see.. Book 6 begins the Second War. Book 7 should end it. How will Hogwarts fit into all this?
Woh. Long rant. Tired fingers.